I’ve been a bit down with a cold this past week and was feeling in dire need of some comfort food. We had the traditional Corned Beef & Cabbage meal just a week ago for no special reason other than “just because”, so I wanted to do something different.
Watching late night Food Network on cable TV definitely has an impact.It makes me want to go all ‘mix and match’ on my food, lol. So I was laying in bed, congested and wanting comfort food and started thinking…Corned beef…..mac and cheese…potatoes… and a plan came together.
Here’s what we did:
- Covered a corned beef in a baking pan with foil tightly, then baked for 2 and 1/2 hours
- When it was done and cooling, made two boxes of macaroni and cheese, using only 3/4 of the noodles and all the sauce, to make it wet and saucy
- At the same time, lined a single layer of tater tots on the bottom of a baking pan and baked for half an hour
- Chopped the corned beef into 1/4″ cubes
- When it was all done, layered pepper jack cheese over the tater tots, then a 1/2″ layer of corned beef
- Spread the macaroni and cheese over the corned beef layer
- Topped it all with shredded triple cheddar cheese
- Baked at 400 degrees until the top was browned
It turned out wonderfully. Not too salty, not too oily, and our guess on how wet to make it was just right.
That was our St. Patrick’s Day! How was yours?